Welcome to Aikton
Aikton (Oaktown) extends about five miles in length from north to south and two miles in breadth from east to west. It is bounded by Bowness on the North, Thursby on the South, Kirkbampton and Orton parishes on the East and the river Wampool on the west. It contains 6,156 acres including roads, rivers, etc. It contains the four areas of Aikton, Biglands, Gamlesby, Wampool and Wiggonby.
Border Raiders (reivers) terrorised the area, stealing cattle and murdering all who resisted until the late 16th century. In the 20th century, its wild windiness became important. The former airfield is now one of Cumbria’s first wind turbine ‘farms’. As people recognised the importance of wildlife, a wildlife sanctuary and hospital was established at Knox Wood and a site of special scientific interest was designated at Biglands Bog.
The parish has an excellent primary school, Wiggonby CE School founded in 1792 and rebuilt in 1860.
St Andrews is an active Anglican parish church built in the 12th century with additions made in the 13th century and in 1869 it was restored costing £400 (£30,000 as of 2012), it is one of the oldest churches in the region.
There is also a village hall and a public house, the Aikton Arms. The Aikton Arms is an 18th century inn serving quality home cooked food and a selection of real ales.